Apparently its #NationalDogDay and it’s only fitting that I’m sharing a zucchini recipe on such a glorious day. Wanna know why? Because our yellow lab, Darbi, absolutely LOVES zucchini! Between zucchini and bananas, she is happy, happy, happy. There was one year where she just went crazy for them. She would literally run down to the garden and pick them herself and we wouldn’t dare leave our freshly picked harvest within her reach. We had to cut her off, though, because she was pretty addicted. It was too funny watching her lay out in the yard chowing down on a big ol’ zucchini from the garden. Now, she will gladly munch on the butts of the zucchini that I cut off and toss to her along with some freshly peeled banana. Anyone else out there have crazy, vegetable-loving dogs?! Charlee (jack russell) won’t even touch them – she prefers Greenies.
Besides our dog loving zucchini, we are huge fans as well. I resist buying any from the grocery store, because I know my Mom’s crop will be so much better! But, let’s be honest, they grow like wildflowers and you’re up to your eyeballs in zucchini before you know it! Do not fear, because these delicious and healthy muffins are here to help you out. They are the perfect balance between banana and zucchini to make a delicious medley. I love making a batch of these for the week because then you have a grab-and-go breakfast that will keep you full and satisfied!
The hint of cinnamon plus the crunch from the walnuts accent the naturally sweet flavor of these muffins. Whip these up and get them in your oven because you don’t want to miss out! They are perfect for breakfast, school lunches, a mid-day snack or pre-workout fuel.
Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Nut Muffins
Makes 12-15 muffins depending on size
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla exract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar on medium/low speed until light and fluffy, about a minute. Add in one egg at a time and beat until combined.
- Add the ripe bananas to the creamed butter mixture and mix on low speed until the bananas are broken down and combined with the mixture, about 30 seconds – a minute. Add in the whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract and lightly mix until smooth and combined.
- Using a rubber spatula fold in the shredded zucchini and the chopped walnuts into the banana bread batter. Mix until full combined.
- Using rounded tablespoonfuls, scoop the batter into lined muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Enjoy! Let the muffins cool completely prior to packaging/storing them.