Let’s be honest, the last thing you are thinking about on Thanksgiving Day is what you are going to have for breakfast. Besides coffee – always be thinking about coffee. But you need to nourish yourself! You’ve got a long day of cooking, entertaining, eating, drinking and Black Friday coupon cutting ahead of you.
My Whole Wheat Banana Nut Muffins with Dark Chocolate is my go-to recipe whenever I have some ripe bananas laying around. So naturally, why not add some pumpkin? I have always loved the addition of whole wheat flour (because it immediately makes your baked goods healthier, right? That’s what I tell myself at least), but if you prefer all-purpose then just sub that in instead.
The pumpkin and bananas come together and do a little dance of happiness and flavor in your mouth, all while they are making your perfect little muffins nice and moist. The addition of cinnamon warms your heart, and the topping of pumpkin seeds gives you the necessary crunch factor.
Not only are these muffins convenient and delicious, but they will keep you full and energized no matter what you are doing throughout the day. These scrumptious little bundles don’t need to just be kept to Thanksgiving morning, make them any time of the year that you see perfectly fit to sneak in some pumpkin! (which basically should be socially acceptable any time of the year, am I right?) Ok, I may be an avid pumpkin girl, but you gotta get it in while you can!
Another thing I love about this recipe (which can be revised to tickle your own tastebuds) is how mindless and easy it becomes. Maybe its just because I’ve made my base banana muffin recipe 5,989 times, but it will become one of your favorite go-to’s before no time. Customize it to fit your lifestyle and you won’t ever let it go.
The pumpkin gives it the ever-so-desired orange tint (and of course flavor) and the pumpkin seeds give it a nice clash in green. Not only did I top these muffins with the pumpkin seeds, but a little cinnamon sugar helps make them all the more crunchy on top. Plus, you can never go wrong with cinnamon sugar.
Pumpkin Banana Muffins
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 stick butter (8 Tablespoons), softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pumpkin seeds, for topping, plus additional sugar and cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the ripened bananas until they are equally mixed together and no clumps are left. Mix in the pumpkin puree, eggs and vanilla.
- Fold in the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until the pumpkin and banana mixture is completely combined together with the dry ingredients.
- With a muffin tin lined with muffin liners, fill each muffin tin with 1/4 cup of pumpkin banana batter (or 3/4 the way full for each muffin). Any excess batter can be added to the top of each muffin slot if need be. Top each muffin with a few sprinkles of pumpkin seeds and cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.