What a fun breakfast staple to recreate. I remember eating the original Toaster Strudels growing up, and always squeezing as much of the cream cheese topping out of the pouch that I could. It’s the best part, you just have to. But, the flakiness and fruitiness can be remade right in your oven.
I originally made these sweet pockets for Valentine’s Day, so naturally they are heart shaped, but you can cut the pastry dough into whatever shape and size you desire. It was the perfect breakfast in bed, without overloading you and making you feel groggy the rest of the day. I couldn’t help but think about how fun these will be to make when we have little ones running around. We proceeded to eat these in bed while reminiscing about our childhoods – they won’t disappoint. You can really use any fruit combination you would like (or possibly go the savory route? Do it), but I went with the classics strawberries and blueberries. Think how these would be during peach season! Daydreaming now.
- 4 sheets of puff pastry dough
- 1 pint blueberries
- 16 oz strawberries, chopped
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 egg
- Toppings such as: Nutella, cream cheese frosting (store bought or homemade), yogurt, or peanut butter for a few ideas
- Preheat your oven according to the instructions on your puffy pastry dough.
- Toss together the blueberries, strawberries and sugar in a bowl, and set aside.
- Roll out your puff pastry, two sheets on top of one another. Cut through both sheets at the same time to your desired shape.
- Seperate the two pieces of your shape to make a top and a bottom piece. Fill the bottom piece with the fruit mixture until 1/4 of an inch from the side all around. Place the top piece on top of the fruit mixture, and match the sides with the bottom puff pastry dough
- Crimp the edges of the fruit pockets with either a fork or a crimping device. Cut off any extra edge pieces.
- Place the fruit pockets on a sprayed cooking sheet. Whisk together the egg in a seperate bowl, and brush the tops of the pockets with the egg wash. Sprinkle the tops with sugar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the tops have puffed up and are golden brown.
- Top with desired toppings and enjoy.